Two taken to hospital after quarantine camp fire

Authorities say a 10-year-old girl and her mother were taken to hospital on Thursday night after a fire at the Penny’s Bay quarantine centre.

The police said they received a report about a fire in one of the cubicles at around 8pm.

Officers said the mother and daughter were doing some art when a candle set an apron on fire. The mother attempted to put out the blaze with a bed sheet, but that too caught fire.

A spokesman for the force said the girl had been put into quarantine and the mother was accompanying her.