M+ Museum to open on November 12

The M+ Museum will finally open on November 12 after years of delay, the West Kowloon Cultural District announced on Wednesday.

Hong Kong residents can visit the contemporary visual culture museum for free for its first year of operation.

In a statement, the West Kowloon Cultural District Authority (WKCDA) said around 1,500 works drawn from the M+ Collections will be displayed in the 17,000 square-metre exhibition space spanning across 33 galleries and other display spaces in the museum.

“The official opening of M+ marks a major milestone in delivering the vision for the development of the West Kowloon Cultural District as a vital contribution to the future of Hong Kong, building on its reputation as one of the world’s leading arts and cultural hubs,” Henry Tang, chairman of the WKCDA Board said.

The museum, a landmark of the West Kowloon Cultural District, has been marred by a series of delays and setbacks, including cost overruns and disputes.

The WKCDA terminated its contract with main contractor, Hsin Chong, in 2018, citing its financial problems and poor performance.

Earlier this year, the pro-Beijing camp slammed the museum for its plan to display one of the works by dissident artist Ai Weiwei, saying the piece could violate the national security law by “spreading hatred against China”.