LCSD says no to June 4 vigil, citing pandemic

The government said on Tuesday that it has told organisers of the June 4 candlelight vigil that their application to use Victoria Park to mark the 1989 Tiananmen Square massacre won’t be processed “in view of the latest coronavirus situation”.

A Leisure and Cultural Services Department spokesman said it has stopped processing all bookings for “non-designated uses” of its leisure venues until further notice.

Health officials have said Hong Kong’s epidemic situation has stabilised and the fourth wave of infections was under control. A number of social distancing measures have also been relaxed since.

The Hong Kong Alliance in Support of Patriotic Democratic Movements of China has also applied to the police for permission to organise a march in late May, ahead of the June 4 vigil. The force has not made a decision yet on that application.

Earlier on Tuesday, Chief Executive Carrie Lam said the various freedoms people enjoy under the Basic Law are not absolute, and they ought to respect the Chinese constitution and the ruling Communist Party.

Last year, the police refused to grant permission for the candlelight vigil, saying the event would be a “major threat to public health”.

That was the first time the police had refused to give it the green light since 1990.