The university barred dozens of students from its premises, services and facilities last month citing serious legal and reputational risks to the institution, even though the motion was withdrawn and the students apologised.
But in a statement released on Thursday, HKU said it will remove the restrictions on 18 of the students.
“The university has been in touch with the students concerned to understand their role and manner of participation in the matter. Having considered the available information and assessed the risks, the university has decided not to subject 18 of the 44 students concerned to the risk mitigating measure,” the statement read.
“The university hopes that the students will reflect deeply upon their words and deeds, abide by the law, and uphold their social and ethical obligations,” it added.
As for the other students, the university said it would notify them individually regarding “the execution of the risk mitigating measure upon them”.
Four of the students who attended the meeting have been charged with advocating terrorism, with all but one remanded in custody.