Elderly happy with new voucher scheme service centres

Elderly people say they’ve had a much smoother time resubmitting their applications for the government’s consumption vouchers after three additional centres came into operation on Monday.

There were chaotic scenes in Mong Kok last week as scores of people whose applications for the HK$5,000 handout were rejected scrambled to submit additional paperwork.

Financial Secretary Paul Chan apologised for the problems on Sunday and said additional collection points would operate in Central, Tai Po and Tuen Mun until September 15.

An elderly man who dropped off his documents at the General Post Office in Central said he found the new location more convenient.

“I came from Causeway Bay, which is not far from here. I knew it must be crowded in Mong Kok, and I might have to queue up for two or three hours. We elderly people in our eighties would faint,” he said.

“The arrangement today is good. The whole process took just five minutes.”

An elderly woman who visited the Tai Po centre was also happy with the new arrangement.

“I live in Northern District. I shouldn’t have to go all the way to Kowloon or Hong Kong Island,” she said.