The three companies – About Beauty, Dr.Protalk and Top Comfort – suspended business on September 1, but did not make clear when or whether they will reopen.
Quat said none of the victims had been able to contact the businesses.
At a press conference held by Quat, a woman surnamed Ho said one of the salons, About Beauty, owed her HK$60,000 worth of beauty treatment.
“My last visit was on August 31, a day before its closure, and the staff there still recommended new beauty treatment packages to me, and offered me freebies, but I rejected,” said Ho, adding that she had been a client there since 2015.
Ho said the Consumer Council was unable to help her, as the company did not make clear whether or not it is closing permanently.
Meanwhile, Quat said she had received complaints from eight staff members who said their salaries were not paid.
Quat said she had reported the complaints to the Customs and Excise Department, adding that more legal protection is needed for consumers.
“We have been discussing with the government for quite a period of time if they should issue licensing for companies that provide beauty services or therapists who provide beauty services. However, the government… so far has no response at all,” she said.