EU postpones preparatory talks for new US council over sub row

A European flag flies between two American flags during the 2010 EU-US Summit held on Nov 20, 2010 in the "Portuguese Pavilion" at the Feira Internacional de Lisboa, in Lisbon. (RAFA RIVAS / AFP)

BRUSSELS – European Union ambassadors have postponed discussions to prepare for a new EU-US trade and technology council on Sept 29 in protest at Washington's submarine agreement with Australia at France's expense, two EU diplomats said.

A public agenda document also shows the talks between the EU's 27 envoys had been withdrawn but did not give a reason. Two diplomats said the European Commission, the EU executive, had asked for the discussion to be postponed.

The inaugural EU-US council, announced at a transatlantic summit in June, is due to take place in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. European Commission chief Ursula von der Leyen told broadcaster CNN that treatment of France was "not acceptable."

ALSO READ: EU backs France in submarine dispute, asking: Is America back?