This screengrab taken from the official Twitter page of Brazilian President Jair Bolsonaro shows a photo of him walking along a hospital corridor while attached to medical drips.
SAO PAULO – Brazilian President Jair Bolsonaro said on Friday via Twitter that he will be "back in action soon, God willing" after being hospitalized earlier this week with an obstructed intestine related to a stabbing in 2018.
Alongside the post, Bolsonaro shared a picture of himself walking along a hospital corridor while attached to medical drips.
Bolsonaro has spent two nights in hospital being treated for an intestinal blockage linked to a stabbing in 2018, with his condition improving and surgery less likely
Bolsonaro has spent two nights in hospital being treated for an intestinal blockage linked to a stabbing in 2018, with his condition improving and surgery less likely.
READ MORE: Bolsonaro hospitalized for exams after abdominal pain
On Thursday evening the president's doctors said in a statement that they had removed a gastric catheter from Bolsonaro and that he would begin eating again on Friday.
But they said they still had no forecast for when he would leave the hospital. That contradicted comments the president made in an earlier interview with Rede TV network, in which he said he might leave on Friday.
Bolsonaro has faced several health issues during his presidency, mainly stemming from long-term complications after he suffered a perforated intestine when he was stabbed on the campaign trail in 2018. He was also ill with COVID-19 last year.
Bolsonaro is in a weak political moment as the Senate probes a corruption scandal over the purchase of coronavirus vaccines and he faces criticism over his handling of the pandemic. COVID-19 has killed nearly 540,000 people in Brazil – the world's second highest death toll behind the United States.
ALSO READ: Bolsonaro fires official over graft as impeachment calls grow